Professor Gabriele would be happy to speak on issues related to religion and violence in the medieval and modern worlds, as well as medieval themes in any pop culture medium (tv, movies, video games, etc.). Please contact him.
Prof. Gabriele’s research and teaching have been featured in Forbes.com, The Washington Post, Religion News Service, The Guardian, The Daily Beast, Slate, Quartz, Pacific Standard, The New Republic, History.com, The Christian Science Monitor, and The Roanoke Times, as well as on CNN, on NPR, and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
Since 2018, he has been a regular contributor to Forbes.com.
- “The Surprising Finds at King Arthur’s Legendary Castle,” Forbes.com, June 2018.
- “Why the History of Medieval Studies Haunts How We Study the Past,” Forbes.com, July 2018.
- “Why We Should See the Middle Ages in All its ‘Garish’ Colors,” Forbes.com, September 2018.
He has also written for The Washington Post, Religion News Service, the American Historical Association’s Perspectives, and The Roanoke Times.
- “Five Myths of the Middle Ages,” The Washington Post, September 2016
- “What Eco could teach us about Trump and Twitter, The Roanoke Times, January 2017.
- “Islamophobes want to recreate the Crusades. But they don’t understand them at all,” The Washington Post, June 2017.
- “Want to know how ‘The Last Jedi’ will end? Check your Bible,” The Washington Post, December 2017.
- “Trump’s Recognition of Jerusalem excites apocalyptic fervor,” Religion News Service, December 2017.
- “After Charlottesville: Historians Tackle White Supremacist Nostalgia for an Imagined Past,” AHA Perspectives, January 2019.
- “Trump says medieval walls worked. They didn’t,” The Washington Post, January 2019.
Interviews with Prof. Gabriele have aired locally, nationally, and internationally. He is more than happy to talk about how the Middle Ages are seen in our modern world, whether it have to do with Game of Thrones, Star Wars, or just about anything else. Please get in touch for more information.
- See Prof. Gabriele talk about his course on Game of Thrones, and again Prof. Gabriele talks about teaching Game of Thrones.
- Listen to Prof. Gabriele’s interview on WVTF/ Radio IQ about the role of women and the Middle Ages on Game of Thrones.
- See Prof. Gabriele talk about the medieval storytelling at work in Star Wars.
- Listen to Prof. Gabriele on WVTF/ Radio IQ on Trump’s proposed border wall and whether or not it’s “medieval.”
National/ International Interviews
- Listen to Prof. Gabriele talk about his new book (with James T. Palmer) on the apocalypse in the Middle Ages.
- Read Prof. Gabriele talking about the role of parents in how students choose their majors at college.
- Read Prof. Gabriele talk about the dangers of mislabeling at museums.
- Listen to Prof. Gabriele’s interview on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation about “Fact Checking the Middle Ages.”
- Listen to Prof. Gabriele’s interview on With Good Reason (on NPR) on Game of Thrones (starts at about 13:23).
- Listen to Prof. Gabriele’s interview on WINA (Charlottesville) about persistence of apocalyptic belief.
- Watch Prof. Gabriele interviewed about the medieval history that informs the video games Dragon Age & Witcher 3.